[PLUG] Moving users

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Fri Jun 7 01:04:05 UTC 2002

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002, launi wrote:
> I want to rebuild one of my servers.  I host email on it and want to move
> the user accounts and directories onto another server.  Isd there a HowTo
> that lists the steps to do this using TAR?

No HOWTO on this AFAIK, Lonnie (aside from `man tar' :). You'll want to keep
the same uids and gids when you create the users on the new box so that the
file permissions on the home dirs and mail spool will be correct. And then,
there's ftp space, too. Would it be possible to back up the old server and
restore it to the new one, using one of the many backup utilities
available...

    http://freshmeat.net/browse/137/?topic_id=137

Sandy
--