[PLUG] logs not rotating

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 7 11:46:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:

> It's all going to depend what sort of logrotate configuration you have
> for your mail log. Most of the time I think things are configured to
> rotate a file once it exceeds it's maximum allowed size. If the file
> size isn't exceeded then it wouldn't be rotated. There is a "daily"
> directive that you can specify in the logrotate configuration for your
> mail log to cause the file to be rotated on a daily basis.

Tony,

  I had both weekly and a maximum size specified; just changed it to daily
for maillog. But, ... *all* my logs have been growing since 2/17/02, none
have apparently rotated even though in /etc/logrotate.d/ each is directed to
rotate weekly.

  This is why I'm trying to better understand what's going on. The proper
directives are there but they're not being followed. For example, yesterday
afternoon, I changed the /etc/logrotate.d/maillog from 'weekly' to 'daily'.
This morning's log still summarizes everything since I initiated postfix.
Something's not right.

Thanks,