*****SPAM***** [PLUG] ADV: [snip blah blah blah]

Neil neil at pacifier.com
Fri Jun 7 15:25:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Richard Langis Jr. wrote:

> The problem is that they don't need to BE subbed to post to the list...
>
> I tested this last week by posting to the list from home, where I'm not
> subscribed.  This needs to be fixed so we stop getting spammed.

I asked this very question of Karl Hegbloom, the list admin, and he told
me it is because he recently setup a news gateway. That is, you can read
and post to the list via. NNTP. Karl wants to use spamassassin to deal
with spam.

I would like to know if anyone out there is actually using the PLUG list
using a news reader? I bet almost everyone does this through email. If
that is the case, I see no reason to continue the news gateway and hence
no reason to continue allowing non-subscribers to post to this list.

Of course, I could be wrong and everyone and his brother might be
accessing this through NNTP now. But to me it is one of those if it ain't
broke why fix it? If an email list is working well, why add news access
when many are not likely to use it?

--
Neil Anuskiewicz
neil at pacifier.com