[PLUG] logs not rotating

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Jun 7 16:51:30 UTC 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On 7 Jun 2002, Doug Davis wrote:
>
> > there should be a line in /etc/cron.daily that says logrotate, This will
> > get run when the run-parts  daily script runs.
>
>   I'm confused, Doug. /etc/cron.daily/ is a directory (as are the other
> /etc/cron.*/). It contains:
> cron.daily:
> 1postfix*        dailyscript*  makewhatis.cron*  tetex.cron*   tmpwatch*
> check-packages*  logrotate*    slocate.cron*     tetex.cron.rpmorig*
>
>   The run-parts daily script. /etc/cron.daily/dailyscript, has nothing about
> logrotate in it.

I think you're not understanding the mechanism of the /etc/cron.daily
(or .weekly, .monthly).  /etc/crontab has a line for each of these
directories that says "run-parts . . . /etc/cron.xxxxx"  each time this
command is run, all of the scripts in the corresponding directory are
executed.  Since you list a "logrotate" file in /etc/cron.daily, you
should look at the contents of that file to see what it is doing, or
possibly even manually execute the file to see if it will successfully
rotate your log files.