[PLUG] logs not rotating

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 7 20:52:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> I'm sure it's "somewhere" but I learned it the "hard way".  My logging
> stopped working once (on a Solaris box) so I just started poking around.
> After seventeen or eighteen hours I had learned all about syslog, log
> rotation, and a whole raft of other things which eventually came in handy.

> Search out every problem to it's foundation and refuse to apply
> chewing-gum and bailing-wire solutions (unless there is simply no other
> way) and you will learn a great deal.
>
> Unfortunately my advice will cost you many hundreds of hours, will mean
> that you can forget about taking family vacations, and will probably lead
> to bankruptcy :-)

Dean,

  You forgot to write that you prefer to work in TeX rather than LaTeX or
Lyx, code in assembler for each processor with which you need to work, and
insist on making your own water by smashing together two hydrogen atoms and
one oxygen atom, glass by glass.

  Note: the first I know is true; from what you wrote above, I assume the
rest.

:-)

Rich

PS: What's a vacation?