[PLUG] 1,500,000 records for MySQL?

pkbarnett pkbarnett at email.msn.com
Sat Jun 8 01:46:59 UTC 2002

As a database administrator for a rather large company, I can understand the
concern about the licensing costs.  It is an ongoing battle with management.
They want it cheap, reliable and recoverable.  As the old saw goes, you can
have two out of three.

We too have legal documents.  We do NOT have the option of losing even one
record.  Never, never, never lose a record.  That rules out cheap.  We run
Oracle and SQL Server in various releases.  Moving to a shareware/freeware
database simply would not be allowed.

That said, other places I have worked would have let me do literally
anything I wanted.  However, decisions like this would have been a 'You bet
your job' decision.  As a computer professional my first obligation is to
protect the data of my company.  If MySql allows this to happen and saves
$30K go for it.  If there is even the remotest doubt that you could
completely recover (as in tested under all possible scenarios before going
production), then pay the $30K and pass the blame to the vendor if an
unrecoverable disaster occurs.

Management pays me good money, sends me to at least one conference a year
and a couple of classes without complaint because things just work all the
time every time.  It doesn't hurt to remind them once in awhile that some
new feature I learned saved them a bundle.

If you can't have proven reliability and recoverability - skip the move to
something new.

Pete