[PLUG] Other ALC courses

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 9 02:33:14 UTC 2002

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, John H. wrote:

> I've never heard of ALC before and they don't seem to have much
> information on their website.
> How much credability do they have? (I notice the site has some broken
> links, too)

We just had a discussion on the list about the Linux Networking course,
and several people said that they are interested in taking the course.
Considering that I sent the email on a Friday afternoon, it got a pretty
decent response and I bet a few more will express interest next week.

Several people have told me that Ed Sawicki (who teaches many ALC courses)
is an excellent teacher and excellent teachers are hard to find. People
have told me that the ALC courses have been useful. That is good enough
for me.

> Not to sound rude, but it seems these courses are rather bland and can
> be learned by reading a book.
> How much hands-on experience are they providing?

If you are not interested in the courses, why bother responding to this
email? I want to get some people interested in taking a few courses this
summer so the courses will run.

The courses involve some lecture, some demo, and some hands-on. I don't
know the exact proportions of each.

As for books vs. courses, anything can be learned from a book. I got a
Bachelor's degree. Could I have learned everything I learned in college
through indepedent reading? Probably, but I am glad I went to college and
would do it again no question. I like learning from an instructor. To many
people it is useful to have a knowledgeable person guiding the learning
process, answering questions, etc. Also, it can be fun.

If you are not interested in courses you are of course free to not
participate...

--
Neil Anuskiewicz
neil at pacifier.com