[PLUG] in the mean time

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 9 03:22:23 UTC 2002

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> Until we get a spam filter in place, could we go back to keeping this a closed
> community?
>
> I liked the idea of having to be subscribed to be a member and post to the list.
> Maybe it's arcane, but I liked it.

I agree. I think that we should let David Mandel and Karl Hegbloom know
that we do not like the way the lists are configured right now:

1. Few people (if any) use the news gateway, so let's kill that and go
back to a configuration *not* allowing non-subscribers to send to the
lists. This needs to be changed for *each* list.

2. As it stands now, you can change your individual mailman config to be
invisible on the subscriber list. This is easy to do and I recommend that
anyone who values their privacy, take a minute and do so. That's in the
mean time. Soon, very soon, I would like the list config for *each* list
changed so the subscriber list is not available to anyone (subscriber or
not). Granted the format of the list is not very useful as is but a
determined spammer could use the lists.

Since we are a somewhat democratic organization, I think that more than I
should let karl at microsharp and dmandel at microsharp.com know our opinions on
this matter. I have done so but my opinion alone is not enough. Do others
agree with me that these lists should be tightened up?

Let's get on the stick and tighten up the list config.

--
Neil Anuskiewicz
neil at pacifier.com