[PLUG] Advice on switches for home network

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 9 05:30:58 UTC 2002

Most will work a-okay.  Some have loud fans, some have no fans.  To me,
quite is best.  Don't think they're available at Fry's, but the Intel
InBusiness line of hubs and switches work fine and meet my dB criteria.

When I bought my 8-port switch it was cheaper than the 8-port hub.  You
probably want a switch unless you have a good reason for having a hub.
(Packet sniffing is better with a hub, but performance is generally better
with a switch.)

As far as features go, unless you get into managed hubs/switches, they are
all similiar.  I'd go for 8 ports at least, your setup will need 5 all
ready.  10/100 gives you flexibility.  I have some hubs/switches that are
soley one or the other and they sit unused.

--
Cheers,
Kyle Accardi