[PLUG] in the mean time

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Jun 9 05:47:42 UTC 2002

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Neil Anuskiewicz wrote:
> 1. Few people (if any) use the news gateway, so let's kill that and go
> back to a configuration *not* allowing non-subscribers to send to the
> lists. This needs to be changed for *each* list.

I disagree.  I like the option of a news gateway and I think a few pieces
of spam for a few days or weeks until the filter is in place is a totally
reasonable price to pay for the availability of diverse list access
methods.

> 2. As it stands now, you can change your individual mailman config to
> be invisible on the subscriber list. This is easy to do and I
> recommend that anyone who values their privacy, take a minute and do
> so. That's in the mean time. Soon, very soon, I would like the list
> config for *each* list changed so the subscriber list is not available
> to anyone (subscriber or not). Granted the format of the list is not
> very useful as is but a determined spammer could use the lists.

I think it's best to leave the configuration open and let users modify
their own configuration as they choose.

If the list is set to not provide user lists, then it will not provide
user lists regardless of the will of the individual subscribers.  Whereas,
if the list does provide user lists, it will only provide a list of users
that have chosen or failed to opt out of the list.

Clearly the current configuration is the most flexible.

I understand that it does a poor job of accomodating the lazy, but I don't
think that's the list admin's job.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin