[PLUG] in the mean time

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Sun Jun 9 05:55:40 UTC 2002

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> I disagree.  I like the option of a news gateway and I think a few pieces
> of spam for a few days or weeks until the filter is in place is a totally
> reasonable price to pay for the availability of diverse list access
> methods.

How many people actually use the news gateway? I bet almost nobody. It is
useful to have diverse list access methods if they are used but most
people just prefer either the regular list or the digest.

> I think it's best to leave the configuration open and let users modify
> their own configuration as they choose.

Why have the list open? What purpose does it serve? If you have a
compelling reason then I am willing to listen.

> I understand that it does a poor job of accomodating the lazy, but I don't
> think that's the list admin's job.

Most people, I think, assume that the list is closed by default. I assumed
that when I subsribed. I personally admin a majordomo list (for another
organization) and have the list closed and I think the users appreciate
that. Frankly, I was surprised to learn that the list was not closed.

--
Neil Anuskiewicz
neil at pacifier.com