[PLUG] Advice on switches for home network

alex alexlinux at qwest.net
Sun Jun 9 03:44:59 UTC 2002

Stuart,
I would think that just getting a router with built-in print server
would be the easiest way to go. I myself use a 4 port 3COM DSL router
that has a built-in print server and it works very well. I did have
trouble getting it to run the way it was supposed to so I just have the
DSL modem hooked into as if it is another computer. I'm running 2 Linux
and a Win98 at my desk and 2 others in different parts of the house. All
can print to the Epson printer that I have hooked up to the router.
Saved me from having to have my computer on 24/7 just so that everyone
else could get online and print.

I'm hoping to avoid unnecessary pitfalls of setting up a small
network.

I have a DSL connection with a 2 Linux PCs, and will soon add a
Thinkpad and a printer. I'll need some kind of switch to link
everything up. Any ideas as to what they cost, what features I
need to keep an eye out for, as well as advices on who makes good
(bad!) switches? I'm guessing I'll probably see the best
selection at Fry's??

Thanks,

Stuart