[PLUG] Advice on switches for home network

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jun 9 06:59:28 UTC 2002

For unmanaged switches/hubs the two big low-cost brands are Linksys and
NetGear.  I've used both quite a bit and have been very happy with NetGear
(formerly Bay Networks).

I have seen a number of strange failures on the Linksys (hubs that weren't
really hubs-- not all traffic was echoed to all ports, intermittent
failures, poor 100BaseT-to-10BaseT buffering, etc.)  The NetGear has been
much more consistent for some fairly heavy use.

I have heard good things on the Linksys from people I trust, so my
experiences might be somewhat unusual.

A good place to get and share opinions on hardware like this is
http://www.epinions.com.

  -- Steve Bonds