[PLUG] Other ALC courses

Doug Davis mindglow at dsl-only.net
Sun Jun 9 13:37:13 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 22:51, Stuart Mathews wrote:

> "Advanved System Security" that went beyond basic security concepts,
> delving into the nuts and bolts of recent attacks, the nuts and bolts of
> how to prevent such attacks, wireless security issues, etc.
Last week, I attended the SANS institutes "Hacker Exploits, Techniques,
and Incident Handling" course here in Portland given by Ed Stoudis. It
was really excellent and I recommend it to anyone who has a chance to
attend. It covered both incident handling as well as exploits and had a
hands on portion that allowed us to try and crack into the 5 servers he
had available. ( I cracked all the Linux boxen and even got root on
one..Yay me!) I'm preparing an hour long presentation for work I'm
calling "Anatomy of a Network Attack". I'm going to show a sample attack
including a buffer overflow and some password cracking. I think it will
be really educational to people to demonstrate how easy it is to get
into a network as well as demonstrate the value of strong password as
well as applying regular patches. Would there be any interest from the
group in hearing my presentation at a PLUG meeting or in an advanced
topics meeting? I will probably be out of town for the July meeting, but
maybe August?

Doug Davis