[PLUG] in the mean time

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Sun Jun 9 20:22:37 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 12:41, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > Like, we're not asking for a permanent change. Just a little tighter
> > security, until the proper measures can be put in place.
>
> That's not what anybody's asking.
>
> Neil was asking to have the list configured to provide no subscriber
> lists, even to members because that's how he assumes a list operates.

Re-read his second post on the subject. He specifically says that
getting a list of subscribers, when you are a subscriber, is ok.

> This is a permanent change and nobody has suggested that it is a temporary
> measure until something else is put in place.

Re-read the thread. Multiple people have made the suggestion that
TEMPORARILY this be changed, until such time as proper spam handling
capabilities are working. I've read it, obviously, you missed it.

> > Besides, I thought it *WAS* the sysadmins (or listadmins in this case)
> > job to ensure security where the list is concerned...
>
> It's the list admin's job to prevent spam from making it to the list.  On
> that, we agree.  And the responsible thing to do here is to install
> spamassassin and leave the news gateway in place.

And until that is done, denying posting unless you subscribe would be an
excellent alternative. It's an easy config change. If spamassassin can
be installed instead, and in a like timeframe, fine. No word one way or
another has been forthcoming from the list admin. It's the list admins
job to ensure the smooth operation of the list. The list being spammed
on a daily basis is not smooth operation. It's annoying behavior that is
easily remedied.

> As for the SECURITY issue (subscriber address availability), the list
> already has a facility for those who choose to hide their address to do
> so.  We don't need to make a global change to accomodate the few (even if
> it's MOST, it's not all) who feel they need their address hidden.

It should DEFAULT to the higher security. Sort of like your favorite
distribution should default to having services turned off. If folks want
their addresses out there, then they should opt-in to that option.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net