[PLUG] We need to block non-member posts

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Jun 10 15:34:44 PDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Aj Lavin wrote:
> I do not believe that it is even necessary to open up the mailing list
> to non-member posts in order to enable members to post through the
> newsgroup.

I think you're right in the sense that messages coming through the news
gateway should very well carry the original From: header and if that's a
list member, it should accept the post.

This is easily tested.

And if a person wanted to use the news gateway, they could simply
subscribe and select the "no mail" option.

However, I still think that a spam filter is the best solution.

> The current Mailman setting is basically a mis- configuration, AFAICT.

That's a judgment call I'm not prepared to make.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net