[PLUG] What PLUG needs

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 10 23:58:45 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Neil" == Neil Anuskiewicz <neil at pacifier.com> writes:

Neil> Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that PLUG
Neil> needs to re-organized a bit in order to be more effective. [...]

More effective _at what_?

Neil> 1. Officer elections.

Neil> I believe that PLUG needs officer elections for a number of
Neil> different posts. One of the monthly meetings should be
Neil> completely devoted to this election. We should probably
Neil> determine the posts ahead of time.

I disagree that PLUG needs "official" officers.  David does a fine job
of coordinating things.  The danger of the kind of bureaucracy you are
suggesting is that someone gets into a position of "authority" and
then for whatever reason (e.g. "burnout", "distractions", "malice",
etc.)  becomes an "obstruction".  No authority, no obstruction, people
with the energy just "do".

Neil> [ ... middle section elided ... ]

Neil> 4. More speakers and substantive meetings.

Neil> We have had some good speakers no question about it but I think
Neil> a lot more could be done in this area. [...]

What do you mean by "more could be done"?  Are you referring to your
"big-name" speakers idea?  You need to do a better job of motivating
this idea.  _Why_ is it a good idea?  _How_ will it advance _which_
goals?

We've had a series of outstanding speakers and presentations recently.
It is hard to see how we could be "doing better".  Maybe you didn't
see them.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible