[PLUG] Advice on switches for home network

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jun 10 23:56:05 PDT 2002

Anthony:

I'm never one to get offended by "stupid" questions meant to clarify
things.  Your question was completely legitimate.

Yes, the linksys hubs in question were marketted as hubs, but behaved
strangely.  The uplink port echoed to every other port, but the non-uplink
ports only echoed unicast traffic to the uplink port.  Multicasts and
broadcasts went to all ports.  Strange, eh?

I wish I could remember the model of these.  They didn't all do it
either-- I suspect that they might have used some strange internal chipset
for one production run that was flawed.

This was pre-blue and black when they were white.  ;-)

I've found the NetGear equipment to be far more consistent.  (Consistency
is worth the extra 15% to me...)

  -- Steve