[PLUG] - umount samba share as non-root

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Tue Jun 11 20:46:28 UTC 2002

Derek;

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 12:51, Derek Loree wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi.

[snip]

> I find I can't umount the share as a normal user (I
> get an error saying I need to be root), I had to su to root to get the
> job done.  The odd thing is, that I can mount and umount the floppy as a
> normal user, and the message "You can't do that, you need to be root"
> doesn't get displayed.

This is because of your floppy entry in /etc/fstab. Check out the line
in /etc/fstab that talks about /dev/fd0. Pay special attention to the
options in the last column (users, noauto, e.t.c). You will likely be
able to simply copy the floppy line and modify it to your needs for the
Samba share. Change /dev/f0, for example to
/dev/your_drive_partition_to_mount and the mount destination directory,
for example.

Further information, from the `mount' man page...

       ``Only  the  user that mounted a filesystem can unmount it
again....If  any  user should  be able to unmount, then use users
instead of user in the fstab line.  The owner option  is  similar  to
the user  option,  with  the restriction that the user must be the owner
of the special file. This may be useful e.g. for /dev/fd  if a login
script makes the console user owner of this device.''

> Does anyone know how to do this, or what group I need to be included in?

P'sha. Of course we do :)

> Thanks,

You bet.

> Derek Loree