[PLUG] Everything you wanted to know about Linux security and aren't afraid to ask (was: Linux /Windows virus appears)

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Wed Jun 12 13:05:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Steve Bonds wrote:
> This is when that NetApp with the automatic 5-minute-old snapshots of your
> home directory really pays for itself.

That saved my butt once on Teleport's Solaris shell machine.

[...]
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:
>
> > Trust me...if you blow away your home directory and potentially lose a
> > months worth of work and have to fret about telling your manager why
> > the schedule may slide a whole month makes you that diligent. Again the
> > only thing that saved my butt was our excellent SA that setup our
> > server to do nightly backups of our home directories and Clearcase
> > views.
> >
> > Tony
[...]

I now protect directories I never want to `rm -f *' by accident with this
simple trick...

    cd /dir/you/care/about
    touch '-i'

When the wild card is expanded, it treats the file `-i' as a switch :) No
more accidental `rm -f globfor *'.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org