[PLUG] Hi Candidate ! Our Resume Distribution Program adv.

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Wed Jun 12 20:09:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Richard Langis Jr. wrote:

> It's not necessarily the news gateway.  The list IS wide-open to anyone
> who sends a message to plug at pdxlinux.org, regardless if they're
> subscribed or not.
>
> I've confirmed this, Sandy Herring has confirmed this, what more do we
> have to do to fix the hole?

I asked Karl (the list manager) about this last week and he told me that
the list is open to non-subscribers because of the news gateway. That is,
is is necessary for the list to be open to non-subscribers in order to
accomodate teh non-subscribers who wish to use the news gateway.

In other words, the spam is a side-effect of opening the list to
non-subscribers in order to accomodate those who use the news gateway.

So the solution is to either figure out how to make the news gateway
workable without keeping the list open to non-subscribers or close down
the news gateway and close the list to non-subsribers.

This is the problem. If you have a solution or suggestion send it to
karl at microsharp.com and dmandel at microsharp.com

However, I don't think it is useful to just comment on each individual
spam with a one line top post. If you have a solution or opinion send it
to the list admin, otherwise, please just have some patience. In a
non-profit volunteer organization things rarely happen fast. The endless
back and forth about *each* individual spam is far worse than the spam
itself.

--
Neil Anuskiewicz