[PLUG] New Install won't let me Telnet, FTP, or http

Brian & Lori Nordlund bl.nordlund at verizon.net
Thu Jun 13 05:15:33 UTC 2002

Sorry about the previous post with the formatting junk in it.  A clean
version follows................

I've searched various archives, but I have not found the reason for my
problem.  I am running a "server" in the closet as a firewall to my DSL
account.  Previously, I was running an earlier version of Mandrake.  With
that installation, telnet, ftp, and apache all were accessable from the
inside by default (I didn't have to do anything or know anything to make it
work!).  Since I updated to Mandrake 7.2 none of these services respond at
all, even from an xterm on the machine itself (response to telnet is
"telnet: unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused").  I am
guessing that later versions of mandrake have become more paranoid so thay
don't come with everything turned on like they used to.  That doesn't help
the bumblers like me.

Some points:

I am running static IP's on the inside (eth1) with the server and two other
machines (running DHCP to the DSL side (eth0)).  I can ping from the inside
to the server, and through to the outside.  In fact all the ipchains stuff
is working great as far as my internet access is concerned.

There is no guest account on the machine (would it be needed for these
services?).

I read through http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-1/linuxsec.html  to try
and check a few things, during which I collected the following information:

hosts.allow has a single entry for my subnet (ALL:
192.18.30.0/255.255.255.0).  hosts.disallow has a single entry of ALL:ALL.

I have HUP'ed xinetd a few times.  When I did it to inetd, it came back
saying "inetd: no process killed"

I am assuming that xinetd is running rather than inetd.  However,
etc/inetd.conf does exsist and includes:
ftp    stream tcp  nowait root   /usr/sbin/tcpd       in.ftpd -l -a
telnet stream tcp  nowait root   /usr/sbin/tcpd       in.telnetd

/etc/xinetd.conf is small enough to include in its entirety:
defaults
{
  instancees         =60
   log_type             = SYSLOG authpriv
   log_on_success  = HOST PID
   log_on_failure      = HOST RECORD
}
includedir  /etc/xinetd.d

In looking at /etc/xinetd.d this directory includes the following files:
wu-ftpd
time-udp
time
swat
rsh
rlogin
rexec
linuxconf-web
ipop3
imap
echo-udp
echo
daytime-udp
daytime
chargen-udp
chargen

/etc/services has almost every port open, especially the ones associated
with ftp, telnet and http.

There is no /etc/rc.inet2 file

tcpd exists in /usr/sbin

My head hurts and I hope someone can catch what is probably a simple
ommission so I can get some rest.  Thanks for any help or direction you can
provide.

Thanks,
Brian.