[PLUG] Other ALC courses

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Thu Jun 13 07:22:22 UTC 2002

Yes, indeed there seems to be an interest in this.
Would you be interested in giving this at the general PLUG meeting?
You said you might now be able to do the July meeting.
Actually, we are going to need to move the July meeting to the
second Thursday of the month - July 11, 2002.
Could you give the talk then?
If not, how about September?  August is booked.

                                                  Dave

On 9 Jun 2002, Doug Davis wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 22:51, Stuart Mathews wrote:
>
> > "Advanved System Security" that went beyond basic security concepts,
> > delving into the nuts and bolts of recent attacks, the nuts and bolts of
> > how to prevent such attacks, wireless security issues, etc.
> Last week, I attended the SANS institutes "Hacker Exploits, Techniques,
> and Incident Handling" course here in Portland given by Ed Stoudis. It
> was really excellent and I recommend it to anyone who has a chance to
> attend. It covered both incident handling as well as exploits and had a
> hands on portion that allowed us to try and crack into the 5 servers he
> had available. ( I cracked all the Linux boxen and even got root on
> one..Yay me!) I'm preparing an hour long presentation for work I'm
> calling "Anatomy of a Network Attack". I'm going to show a sample attack
> including a buffer overflow and some password cracking. I think it will
> be really educational to people to demonstrate how easy it is to get
> into a network as well as demonstrate the value of strong password as
> well as applying regular patches. Would there be any interest from the
> group in hearing my presentation at a PLUG meeting or in an advanced
> topics meeting? I will probably be out of town for the July meeting, but
> maybe August?
>
> Doug Davis

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel