[PLUG] Motherboard sound

Paul Johnston pjohnston at inetarena.com
Thu Jun 13 00:36:05 PDT 2002

My old Linux box is down, so I'm building a new one.  My question arises
from the fact that I will be changing from an old motherboard to a new one.

Since I'm buying parts for a Linux (RH7.3) system, compatibility is my
prime concern.  My new box will be based on a Athlon XP 1800+ CPU and DDR
RAM.  The good folks at Pacific Solutions told me that the most common
Linux motherboard issue is sound drivers.

I am not a gamer and have been quite happy with my simple Ensoniq PCI128
sound card (SB-compatible) for about seven years.  It was supported by Red
Hat 5.2.

Should I get a motherboard without built-in sound (or with built-in sound
disabled) and use a simple sound card with known support for Linux?  Is the
driver problem due to the built-in sound, or is it due to the fact that the
most current Linux distros may not support the most current sound technology?

Thanks for your help.