[PLUG] New Install won't let me Telnet, FTP, or http

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Jun 13 17:24:19 UTC 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:

> Either that, or install the telnet-server RPM, which adds that file,
> and some others. Then, change the "disabled =" line.
>
> For a console app to change these things, try "ntsysv". Works in
> Redhat and Mandrake, others too.

The chkconfig utility that ships with Red Hat can be used to manage
xinetd services, too:

  # list what chkconfig can manage
  /sbin/chkconfig --list

  # tweak /etc/xinetd.d/telnet to turn on telnet server and HUP xinetd
  # to activate it
  /sbin/chkconfig telnet on

  # check syslog to make sure we got what we wanted
  tail -n 40 /var/log/messages

At that point, you can edit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet to add, say,
host-based exclusions using "only_from" or "no_access" directives. The
xinetd.conf(5) man page is helpful in that regard.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>