[PLUG] New Install won't let me Telnet, FTP, or http

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Thu Jun 13 18:47:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 22:15, Brian & Lori Nordlund wrote:
> Sorry about the previous post with the formatting junk in it.  A clean
> version follows................
>

> I've searched various archives, but I have not found the reason for my
> problem.  I am running a "server" in the closet as a firewall to my DSL
> account.  Previously, I was running an earlier version of Mandrake.  With
> that installation, telnet, ftp, and apache all were accessable from the
> inside by default (I didn't have to do anything or know anything to make it
> work!).  Since I updated to Mandrake 7.2 none of these services respond at
> all, even from an xterm on the machine itself (response to telnet is
> "telnet: unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused").  I am
> guessing that later versions of mandrake have become more paranoid so thay
> don't come with everything turned on like they used to.  That doesn't help
> the bumblers like me.
>

> Some points:
>
> I am running static IP's on the inside (eth1) with the server and two other
> machines (running DHCP to the DSL side (eth0)).  I can ping from the inside
> to the server, and through to the outside.  In fact all the ipchains stuff
> is working great as far as my internet access is concerned.
>
> There is no guest account on the machine (would it be needed for these
> services?).
>

> I read through http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-1/linuxsec.html  to try
> and check a few things, during which I collected the following information:
>
> hosts.allow has a single entry for my subnet (ALL:
> 192.18.30.0/255.255.255.0).  hosts.disallow has a single entry of ALL:ALL.
This is probably it, any host not in your subnet (Do you have exclusive
control of the whole subnet?) including your internal subnet (I assume
it is a non-routable set of addresses) will be denied access by your
hosts.disallow.  To open everything (not recommended, but easy) comment
out the entry in the host.disallow, and change the host.allow to

ALL: ALL

The man page for hosts_access (at least that is what it is called on my
debian box) will give much more useful information.

Good Luck

Derek Loree