[PLUG] Debian GNU/Linux "woody" apache/perl problems.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 13 22:44:39 UTC 2002

Yo.

In this environment, I'm building a kind of internal workgroup server.
For various reasons (not open to debate), I'm using some old hardware and
have to use a binary distribution.  I chose Debian GNU/Linux (also not
open to debate), but because of past problems and the desire to use a
modern kernel, I chose the "testing" branch, codenamed Woody.

The system build went rather smoothly and everything appears to be up to
date.  I installed all of the important services and everything seems to
be working (ssh, cvs, bind, etc.), but then I decided that I'd like to
have a web server on this host as well.  For various reasons (of course,
not open to debate), I decided that Apache was the way to go.

However, when I suggested to the package manager that I should install one
of the several available Apache packages, the package manager told me that
it must back-rev Perl to an unacceptable degree (from 5.6.1 to 5.005).

Does anyone have Perl 5.6.1 and Apache running on a Woody system without
building either from source?

I'm certainly not opposed to building from source, but the system is dog
slow for such things and I was hoping to be able to rely on Debian package
managers to handle upgrades in the future.

Any help is appreciated.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin