[PLUG] Debian GNU/Linux "woody" apache/perl problems.

Jeff Blain jelque at feather.net
Fri Jun 14 00:33:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:46:56PM -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, David Bridges wrote:
> > That sounds weird, maybe you need to check your sources.list and verify
> > the entries.  I have several woody boxes running the combination you are
> > wanting.  dpkg shows me this
> > ii  perl           5.6.1-7
> > ii  apache         1.3.24-3
>
> Duh... dpkg is confusing me.  What was teh command line that yielded this
> output?

dpkg -l package

> > Here is the sources.list on that box.
> >
> > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ woody main
> > deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ woody main
> > deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main
> > deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>

> This is identical to my sources.list except s/woody/testing/ and
> s/stable/testing/ on the last line.

This should be ok.

> I did have an issue at install where the wrong sources.list was installed,
> but I put in the right data and ran apt-get dist-upgrade.  I don't believe
> anything was even installed while those sources were active.  but the
> data's in my database.  How can I purge the apt cache and download a fresh
> list without harming the db of installed software?

This may sound stupid, but you did run apt-get update? Nevermind... it
is. :)

What packages were you trying to install? Maybe you hit a package that's
there but is not updated yet. How did you do the update?

Here is some info I got from apt the bot on OpenProjects #debian

potato->woody

apt> it has been said that potato->woody is edit /etc/apt/sources.list,
changing all non-local mentions of "potato" or "stable" (except
security.debian.org) to "woody" (examples: ask me about "woody
sources.list"). Then "apt-get update", "apt-get install apt-utils
debconf dpkg" and "apt-get dist-upgrade", et voila! Also, ask me about
"woody install warnings".

woody install warnings

<apt> woody install warnings is, like, ask me about "install xf4" if
your startx is missing, or ask about "libdb3 problem" if you're getting
libdb.so.3 errors, or try "apt-get install perl perl-5.6-base libperl5.6
debconf apt-utils" for miscellaneous perl issues, or "apt-get install
man-db" if man disappears, or until woody's released,
/etc/apt/sources.list must say "woody" and not "stable", so check that.

HTH,

Jeff