[PLUG] Adding disk partitions to an existing system

Bill bill at coho.net
Thu Jun 13 23:55:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

Jeme and other helpful souls--I probably made the partition table for
this puppy with W2k's fdisk (it's been a while).  What I've done so far is
to juggle swap partitions to where my current swap partition is in the
same physical location on the disk but is now a primary partition (I
actually didn't plan to do it that way, but I found after making a
new swap partition and turning it on I had my disk sliced up in a bad way,
with non-contiguous free space that I couldn't put in an extended partition, so
I juggled things around with a minimum of good planning until I had a
usable setup).

I now have

(output from fdisk -l)
Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 969 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1           919       969    205632   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2             1       406   1636960+   5  Extended
/dev/hda4   *       407       918   2064384   83  Linux
/dev/hda5   *         1       194    782145   83  Linux
/dev/hda6           195       267    294304+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           268       340    294304+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8           341       406    266080+  83  Linux

A mess I know, but workable.  All I have mounted right now is
hda4
with hda1 as the working swap space.  Now, what do I do to get my new
linux partitions (hda5-8) formatted as ext2?  I know this sounds ignorant,
but I am a bit puzzled.  Also, what is the preferred method for copying
whole directories, since I wanna get the entire current contents of /var
and /tmp into hda6&7, and presumably permissions and symlinks gotta stay
absolutely the same?

I understand that once I have the formatting and copying done, I can
update /etc/fstab and
rm -rf /tmp && mount /tmp
or do i need
rm -rf /tmp && mkdir /tmp && mount /tmp
to make the directory where I'm a-gonna mount the new partition?

Many thanks,

Bill