[PLUG] New Install won't let me Telnet, FTP, or http

Dan Stone dan at headzofstate.com
Fri Jun 14 06:38:03 UTC 2002

> So far, I have still struck out, even with all the good suggestions.
> However, the "/sbin/chkconfig telnet on" resulted in a log entry that might
> be the clue I need.  One of the lines resulting from "tail -n 40
> /var/log/messages" reads as follows:
>
> (date) (host name) xinetd[26042] service telnet missing attribute server
>
> Does this give me a direction to look?
>
> Thanks for all help so far,
> Brian.

Well, I'd say it's a good indicator of something going wrong.  The
server attribute in /etc/xinetd.conf tells xinetd what program to
execute to invoke that particular service.  Open up xinetd.conf with the
editor of your choice, and search for "service telnet"...see what the
entry for it looks like =)

~Dan A. Stone