[PLUG] Not so portable time

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Jun 16 15:36:06 UTC 2002

> Yep. We run into this at FREE GEEK all the time, especially on low end
> pentiums. Look first for a silver colored "button" battery. If you find
> it (and it's not soldered on), you're in luck. If you can't find one,
> look for a rectangular boxy dark grey square that may of may no be
> marked "ODIN" or "DALLAS". Example at:
>
> http://dbserv.maxim-ic.com/images/timekeeping.jpg
>
> Sometimes these can be replaced. Often not. (I saw one Sparc with a
> Lithium button battery soldered on as a hardware kludge.)

That was a very carefully constructed kludge!  I bought a replacement
RTC module.  After installing it, I discovered (by searching the net)
that the clock silicon had been revised slightly, such that the
firmware in my Sparcstation 2 didn't like it.  Thus I decided to hack
in a new battery instead.

ST Microelectronics is another major manufacturer of battery-backed RTC
modules.  You can buy their parts from Mouser (www.mouser.com).

galen