[PLUG] ppp connection problem

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Jun 17 23:39:47 UTC 2002

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
> > Can you login via a shell dialup?  That's where I would start.  Once that
> > is working, I would try starting up ppp manually from the shell prompt.
>
> galen,
>
>   Using minicom, I can dial in (using the same phone number) and the ppp
> connection is apparently started automatically. All I/we see on the screen
> is gibberish. The assumption is that Aracnet's trying to establish a ppp
> connection with minicom.
>
>   Is there a different approach? I'm always open to learning more.

I recommend reviewing the ppp howto.  In particular, Chapter 17 is relevant
for your situation.  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/manual.html
Failing that, you might consider asking tech support at aracnet to
temporarily set your account for shell access.  In that mode ppp will not
automatically start on the remote end.  This assumes aracnet will allow
a shell user to manually start ppp.

BTW, I'm operating from memory on this.  It's been about 3 years since I
did this myself.

galen