[PLUG] Slackware 8.1 is out

AthlonRob athlonrobnf at cs.com
Wed Jun 19 04:41:09 UTC 2002

According to those who have been able to get it already, Slackware RC3 as of
6-16-02 is 8.1, release.  :-)

ftp.eunet.be has ISOs dated the 15th, but if you check the changelogs, there
were mainly just some RAID issues worked out there.

ftp.slackware.at/data has been reported to be a very fast mirror... one guy
is reporting 300KB/sec off it.

Slackware, for those who don't know... it the 'oldest commercial linux
distro' ... if you're used to RedHat or Mandrake, it is a bit different.
More of a do-it-yourself-so-you-know-it-is-right kinda distro.  The main
selling point for me was the lack of RPMs (although you can install some
RPMs... not recommended) and the BSD-style init.

I've been running 8.1 Beta 2 on an old laptop since it was released.  It's
been working wonderfully, I only found a few small problems which Pat worked
out before I was even able to report them to him.

Rob