[PLUG] Hard Drive UncorrectableError issue?

Dan Stone dan at headzofstate.com
Wed Jun 19 19:51:53 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:41 pm, Don Buchholz wrote:
> r0bbY wrote:
> > I have a hard drive that started doing this recently...
> >
> > >Jun 18 22:59:09 matchboy kernel: hdg: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> > >UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1081160, sector=1081073
> > >Jun 18 22:59:09 matchboy kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 22:01
> >
> > (hdg),
> >
> > >sector 1081073
> >
> > I had 2 of the same type of hard drives doing this. When my main hard
> > drive was doing this I freaked and ended up buying a new hard drive...
> > but the problem seemed to still sit on the 2nd hard drive.
> >
> > I just replaced my motherboard/cpu/ram this weekend... and noticed that
> > it is still having issues with the mounted hard drive.
> > I'm in the process of trying to copy over the important files (basically
> > 5000 mp3s) from the hard drive to my new one...and perhaps I'll format
> > it.
> >
> > What would cause 2 hard drives to do this at the same time?
>
> A bad cable/connector?
>
> - Don

Or perhaps (and this is a little further out there, but hey, you've gotta
consider everything =P), the ATA controller on the motherboard you replaced
was going bad, wrote data to the drives in an, ah, *interesting* (read: wrong
=P) fashion, and now the new motherboard is having problems with the drives
because it can't figure out how the data was written to the drive?  *shrug*

~D. A. Stone