[PLUG] Re: News Gateway

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jun 21 03:40:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> Ok, does the news gateway still work?  It would be alright to set up
> authenticated access to the nntp server, and to keep the subscriber
> lists in sync somehow.

I've seen the idea tossed around, but I haven't seen a rebuttal yet:

What is preventing the news gateway from properly working when the list is
set to subscriber-only?

Doesn't the news gateway read the From: header of news posts and check
them against the subscriber list?

Then, if someone wants to use the news gateway primarily, they can simply
check the "no mail" option within mailman.

Someone please post to the list (or me personally, I suppose, but I'll
likely just restate it to the list) why this wouldn't work.

Thanks.
J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin