[PLUG] vi problem on Redhat 7.2

Curtis Poe cp at onsitetech.com
Fri Jun 21 21:07:03 UTC 2002

I'm using Putty to connect to a Redhat 7.2 box.  Whenever I try to use vi, I
appear to be put into vi emulation mode.  In other words, I lose all of the
nifty features that put the "IMproved" in vim.

Here's what I know (given that I am a newbie to both vim and Linux):

1.  I'm using the bash shell

2.  When I type "vi", I get the screen stating that it is
    "VIM - Vi IMproved".

3.  I try setting ":syntax on" and I get a message saying
    "Sorry, this command is not implemented".

4.  All I have in my .vimrc (for now):

    set ts=4
    set autoindent

What can I do to debug this further?

--
Cheers,
Curtis Poe

Taking e-Business and Internet Technology To The Extreme!