[PLUG] vi problem on Redhat 7.2

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Fri Jun 21 22:40:07 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:51:25PM -0700, Curtis Poe wrote:
> Thanks, but I already tried that.  Says "command not found".  Our admin
> assures me that we don't actually have vi on the box and vi is, in fact,
> vim.  Since it identifies itself as vim and all of its documentation is for
> vim, I assume that this is, in fact, the case.  Typing "man vi":
>
>   VIM(1)
>   ...blah, blah, blah...
>
> Since it's behaving like vi, I assume that this is why it's using
> vi-emulation mode.

You currently have the vim-minimal package installed which provides
stock vi support. Your admin needs to install the vim-enhanced package
which includes support for stuff like :syntax on.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at