[PLUG] Network failure, different kernels of the same revision.

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Jun 22 06:55:08 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> So, first I downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.18 package and
Jeme> configured and built the kernel using make-kpkg.  That seemed to
Jeme> work smoothly.  Then I did a dpkg -i to install my new kernel.

[...]

Jeme> I'm at the end of my rope.  What am I forgetting?

Just go to kernel.org and get the linux tarball and compile it:

  cd /src
  tar xzvf /src_archive/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
  cd linux
  make xconfig (or whatever)
  make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; su -c 'make install ; make modules_install'

or words to that effect.  I've been using Debian since before it
existed but I've never stooped to using their kernel packaging.  The
manual way works just fine and involves less convolution (though you
may need to move the vmlinuz and System.map from / to /boot and/or
tweek the LILO or Grub configuration ... I've come to like Grub a lot
better recently, since it makes experimenting with different kernels a
bit easier).

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible