[PLUG] Network failure, different kernels of the same revision.

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Jun 22 08:04:33 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Jeme" == Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> writes:

Jeme> Tried this, too.  Still same effect.  I only get actual use of
Jeme> the network when I use the bf2.4 kernel.  Every other kernel,
Jeme> when configured to the best of my ability (which should be quite
Jeme> good at this point), gives me the network devices that are
Jeme> configurable with ifconfig and addressable with route, but
Jeme> simply do not pass packets.

Jeme> I can't figure it out.

Hmm.  Okay, in that case I'll start flailing.  In no particular order:

  > Blinky lights?

  > When you try to ping something external, what message do you see?

  > Can you ping localhost?

  > Is there a network debugging option in the kernel configuration?

  > You might try pulling the PCI NIC and see if that helps.

  > What compiler version are you using?

  > Are you certain eth0 and eth1 didn't get reversed (i.e., check MAC
    addresses or just try swapping cables)?

  > You could try a 2.5.x kernel.  I've got one (for x=21) running on
    my home desktop.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible