[PLUG] Re: OT Cell Phone and PDA thanks

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Jun 24 17:55:34 UTC 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The cell phones I've used, including the Kyocera combo, all come with a
> power button. The phone's never on when I'm eating, meeting with people or
> just don't want to be disturbed. It's for my convenience, after all.
>
> :-)

Last Sunday's Oregonian had a piece in the Forum section about how all
of the high tech gadgets & technology was ruining our current quality
of life (e.g., cell phones, pagers, & email made it possible for work to
follow employees home; people who grew up with computers were
``increasingly unable" to understand how things worked). I'd like to
note that Rich's brief comment is an eloquent refutation of the
article's thesis.

Technology is man's servant; but like any servant, if the master is
lazy or complaisant, it can turn the tables & become the master.

Geoff