[PLUG] Re: OT Cell Phone and PDA thanks

Neil Anuskiewicz neil at pacifier.com
Mon Jun 24 19:01:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Geoff Burling wrote:

> Last Sunday's Oregonian had a piece in the Forum section about how all
> of the high tech gadgets & technology was ruining our current quality
> of life (e.g., cell phones, pagers, & email made it possible for work to
> follow employees home; people who grew up with computers were
> ``increasingly unable" to understand how things worked). I'd like to
> note that Rich's brief comment is an eloquent refutation of the
> article's thesis.
>
> Technology is man's servant; but like any servant, if the master is
> lazy or complaisant, it can turn the tables & become the master.

Cell phones in particular hurt the quality of life. There are few things
more annoying than hearing someone's cell phone ring and then them talking
on it in a restaurant, theatre, etc. It hurts the relaxing atmosphere in a
restaurant.

I have even seen/heard people talking on their cells while they climb a
mountain or hike in a beautiful trail. It drags down the experience to
hear embeciles talking on their cells.

Whatever happened to basic courtesy and being aware of the effects of
actions on others?

Also, of course, we have all seen morons talking and driving. Often they
swerve without realizing it because they think they can do both but it is
an illusion.

--
Neil Anuskiewicz