[PLUG] More Scripting Fun!

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Jun 24 20:23:16 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Van Cleve <jason at vancleve.com> writes:

Jason> Thanks, gentlemen.  I think I'm finally grasping the fine art of init
Jason> scripts.

Jason> Mr. Schwartz, why are the backslashes useful here?

>> eval \$COMMAND \$* ${COMMAND_SUFFIX}

After the eval pass, it's now:

        $COMMAND $* [..and whatever is in COMMAND_SUFFIX]

and so it's as if you typed that, instead of what you started with.
Except that redirects in $COMMAND_SUFFIX are now active.