[PLUG] Re: News Gateway

Richard Langis Jr. richard.langis at sun.com
Mon Jun 24 20:50:48 UTC 2002

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Actually, I just posted, so it's working.

I haven't done anything to the list yet.

> And I'm unsure of why we need to shut down the NNTP posting alternative,
> since the SPAM has always been injected via SMTP.

The change won't shut down the NNTP posting, it will simply restrict it
to subscribers-only.  Meaning you have to be subscribed to the list,
even though you don't have to actually get mail FROM the list.  You can
still post, just as long as you are subscribed.

> If I have to subscribe to each mailing list, I'm probably just going
> to leave instead.  Buh bye.

That's up to you, but the alternative is the SPAM we've been seeing, and
IMHO it's getting worse as of late.  Adverts for ZOO pr0n?  I think
closing down the list to allow ONLY those people who are actually
subscribed TO the list to post is the way to do it.

Again, you don't have to actually get mail in your inbox if you're
subscribed to the list.  Hell, if there is anyone else *besides* Randal
who uses the gateway, I can set you all up without you even having to
lift a finger.  Just let me know who you are, and I'll do the necessary
key-punching/mouse-clicking.

-Richard

--
s u n  m i c r o s y s t e m s