[PLUG] Re: News Gateway

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Jun 24 21:02:34 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Langis <richard.langis at sun.com> writes:
Richard> All you would have to do, is subscribe to the list, check the
Richard> 'no mail' option in the configuration, and then continue
Richard> posting via NNTP as usual.

Randal> Actually, I just posted, so it's working.

Randal> And I'm unsure of why we need to shut down the NNTP posting
Randal> alternative, since the SPAM has always been injected via SMTP.

The reason is that the SPAM was being injected from non-subscribed
addresses.  Since the people who were using the NNTP gateway were not
subscribed in the general case, the list wasn't closed to members
only, as it had been previous to the gateway.

Randal> If I have to subscribe to each mailing list, I'm probably just
Randal> going to leave instead.  Buh bye.

Well, you don't _have_ to subscribe to read _or_ post.  The only
impact will be when posting messages to one of the "unsubscribed"
newsgroups, your message will be queued for inspection by the list
administrators.  They will presumably then approve your message for
the list.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible