[PLUG] another rpm question [was: rpm question]

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Mon Jun 24 21:48:47 UTC 2002

What specific entry (or entries) in the /usr/lib/rpm config files
determines that, by default, my machine builds for i586?

This is a Mandrake 8.2 system (running on an athlon-mp).
For various reasons Mandrake's default build env. is always i586.
I'm supposing they get this behaviour via something in these config
files.

I've grepped the files for i586 and found several entries.
The most relevant thing I can find is the section:

#==============================================================================
# ---- config.guess platform macros.
#	Macro(s) similar to the tokens used by configure.
#
%_build			%{_host}
%_build_alias		%{_host_alias}
%_build_cpu		%{_host_cpu}
%_build_vendor		%{_host_vendor}
%_build_os		%{_host_os}
%_host			i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
%_host_alias		i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
%_host_cpu		i586
%_host_vendor		mandrake
%_host_os		linux-gnu
%_target		%{_host}
%_target_alias		%{_host_alias}
%_target_cpu		%{_host_cpu}
%_target_vendor		%{_host_vendor}
%_target_os		%{_host_os}

in  /usr/lib/rpm/macros.

Note that %_target takes its value from  %_host.

But when I put

%_host			athlon-mandrake-linux-gnu
%_host_alias		athlon-mandrake-linux-gnu
%_host_cpu		athlon

in a separate /etc/rpm/macros file, it makes no difference,
so  I'm missing something.

Dean