[PLUG] Re: another rpm question [was: rpm question]

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Jun 25 02:41:57 UTC 2002

Since nobody has yet answered my questions I thought I'd answer them
myself.

With a lot of trial-and-error and several hours spent tracing things I
discovered the answer to my own questions.  Basically the
architecture that rpm keys off of is the one given by `uname -m'.

In addition, in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc there is the line:

buildarchtranslate: i686: i586

which says that if `uname -m' returns i686 then translate that to i586.

So, until I rebuild the mandrake kernel as an "athlon" kernel I have
defined  /etc/rpmrc to be:

optflags: athlon -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=athlon-mp -ffast-math -fno-strength-reduce
buildarchtranslate: i686: athlon

Note that the newest gcc-3.1.1 has the -march-athlon-mp switch.
Since I'm running athlon-mp processors I thought I'd  take
advantage of this---which started me down this primrose path.

Dean