Signals (was Re: [PLUG] stopping an error ...)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Jun 25 20:08:31 UTC 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> Paul Heinlein writes:
> :: To get xinetd to re-read its configuration
> :: file(s), you'd do
> ::
> ::  kill -HUP <pid of xinetd>
>
> Small correction:  use kill -SIGUSR2 <pid of xinetd>
>
> `SIGHUP' does something else with xinetd.  Why they didn't
> go with the standard way I don't know.

Doh! Thanks for the correction. It's a good thing there's no "lemon
law" concerning advice offered on PLUG :-)

Apache uses USR2 to "gracefully" reread httpd.conf, allowing each
httpd child to finish its current work before dying, while HUP forces
a reread Right Now, killing all existing children regardless of their
status -- so maybe the xinetd developers were taking their cue from
the Apache folks. Who knows?

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>