[PLUG] postfix question PART 2

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Jun 25 20:43:23 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 13:09, r0bbY russell aka MaTcHBoY wrote:
> Ok, got that working..
> Now I am curious if I can use a smtp server remotely to relay email. I'm
> sure this is possible.. and probably just needs me to turn something on.
> Right now I am using my companies mail server for my outgoing email... for
> my personal email address which is a different email service. I want to do
> all my outgoing mail through my personal server which is located elsewhere.
> How can I can I allow a few IP addresses to use the server to send mail
> (relay)?

You have a couple of options, one is ip based, only certain machines are
allowed to relay, the other is user authentication.  The latter one uses
machine accounts and passwords to verify authentication, the advantage
is that any user with an account on the machine is able to relay from
where ever, but it cannot be used by anyone else as a relay.  The
disadvantage of the latter one is that the users email client must
support authentication of smtp.  Most modern mailers do.

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember that I was surprised at
how easy it was to implement (I've configured server both ways).

HTH

Derek Loree