[PLUG] Debian, X11

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Jun 26 06:22:29 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 09:06 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Bill Spears wrote:
> > Ok, I got Debian (bf2.4) installed. I thought I selected the X11 stuff
> > but it doesn't seem to be there.  (What's the equivalent of rpm -qa,
> > anyway?) What do I do?
>
> Oh, and I have no idea what rpm -qa does, but if I had to infer from
> context, I think you're looking for
>
> dpkg -l
>
> Remember that strict dependencies are handled by apt, but sometimes things
> are not stricly dependencies, but quite nice to have in conjunction with
> one another (like an xserver with enlightenment or an xterm with your
> xserver).
>
> If you want a particular utility but don't know what package it's in, try
> apt-cache search utilityname
>
> That'll often get you there.
>
> J.

Many Thanks for thorough answers, but as I was poking around I got an error
from ext3 about a filename of the wrong length for something or other. I
think I may have a failing hard disk-groan.  As I was trying to reinstall -an
old habit from Windows-- I found it couldn't do things like initiate the swap
partition.