[PLUG] Basic MySql Question

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jun 26 21:20:19 UTC 2002

On 26 Jun 2002, Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> I would like to 1) create a customer database having contact name,
> snail mail address, email address, telephone number

Install postgres, create a database user, create a database under that
user, create a table with the appropriate fields (and a key field).

Do a google search for "practical postgresql" and follow the link to the
O'Reilly book.  The whole thing appears to be online.

> 2) import a comma-delimited file text file into the database.

Perl DBI.

There are Perl database drivers for both postgresql and csv text files.
That's right, you can run sql commands against a csv, with perl.  Really
neat.  So just SELECT the data out of one table, in one database (in this
case, a csv file) and INSERT it into another (in this case, the postgres
table).

> A thumb-nail sketch should be sufficient...I can fill in the blanks.

That's the thumbnail.  Gives you a starting point.  Any deeper gets you
contract rate.  (I'm kidding.)

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin